If you have been hurt in a car accident by a drunk driver, there are steps you can take to help secure the evidence for a future personal injury lawsuit. When your injuries are bad enough that they keep you out of work, and you have medical bills piling up, it's imperative to consult with a personal injury lawsuit to discuss your case.

Look Over the Police Report for Errors

When the police respond to the accident, they must file an accident report detailing their findings. To obtain the report, you can either call the responding station or go there yourself and talk with the officer at the front. Since you were involved in the accident, you are entitled to a copy of the report. Make sure the weather at the time of the accident, what time of day it occurred, and that the other driver was drunk is evident in the report. If you find mistakes, you can ask that these mistakes be changed in the original report.

Look on the police report to see if your injuries were noted correctly. Once again, if you believe that your injuries are reported incorrectly, ask that the report be amended to reflect what happened. If the police were not called at the time of the accident and no report was made, it is up to you to file a police report detailing the accident.

Seek Treatment for Your Injuries

When you get injured in a car accident, the most important step to take is to seek medical treatment. While you may not feel like you need to be assessed by a physician, waiting for treatment will only slow down the healing process. If you've been injured by a drunk driver, now is not the time to wait and see if you get any worse. Seek medical care, and follow up with any treatment providers as recommended by the physician that you see.

Set Up an Initial Consultation with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney

Once you have the documentation you need of the accident, and you are actively in treatment for your injuries, it's time to set up an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney. Especially when you are unable to work, the lost wages will begin to add up quickly. It is important to go over your case with a professional lawyer, like Charles Aaron PLC, so that you can receive financial compensation for lost wages, pain, suffering, and potential disability.